Steering Committee Meeting 9.11.18
Present:
Omar Elhagmusa
Laura Bidwa
Matt Adair
Steve Sterrett
Lydia Yoder
Georgina Stevenson

Weinland Park Festival Feedback

Steve Sterrett shared that the Festival Planning Committee would like to distribute a short survey,and at the meeting it was decided that the best way to conduct the survey would be online. Matt Adair suggested we include the link to the survey in the monthly newsletter. The link to the survey can also be posted in the Weinland Park Discussion Forum on Facebook.

The following is the feedback on the 2018 Weinland Park Festival from Steering Committee members:

  • Recruiting more face painters. We could practice face painting at monthly meetings to train new face painters
  • Showing appreciation for the volunteers the day of the festival; possibly having a designated raffle time for volunteers.
  • We should think through how much publicity we want to give the WPCCA as organizers of the Festival
  • Festival could be the place that community awards are given out by WPCCA leadership.
  • The CPO Basketball tournament could be better integrated into the festival; possibly having the awards for the basketball tournament given on the stage at the festival. Also include performances/showcase talents of kids in the neighborhood. Weinland Park Wildcats and cheerleading and football.

Treasurer and Budget Update

Ed Chin (secretary of WPCCA 2016-2018) paid to fund the website he built and to pay for the platform for the website.

Motion: ​Laura Bidwa made a motion that we reimburse Ed Chin for the expenses of $316.16 he incurred over the past year for using the website, Omar Elhagmusa seconded the motion. Vote was 4-0 for; motion passed.

Omar Elhagmusa and Laura Bidwa will have the signature card transferred into their name soon. There is a need for another person to have their name on the account who will be a constant through the change in the officers. Possibly the Godman Guild.

Weinland Park Collaborative Planning Meeting

The topic for the October 16 Weinland Park Collaborate (WPC) meeting will be resident engagement. The following are possible topics to explore:

  • Resident engagement in the past: what has and has not worked,
  • What resources will we need to increase resident engagement?
  • What is next for Weinland Park? The vision is to have a mixed-income neighborhood where neighbors don’t just sit next to each other but engage with one another. We may need to pay attention to the impact of our resident engagement efforts, and find ways to measure resident engagement.
  • What is the role of the WPC going forward? The WPC could eventually serve as more of an advisory body to the WPCCA, and bolster more support to WPCCA.

We decided to discuss the WPC meeting more at the October Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, October 9.

Planning the September 26 Meeting

  • Music: Georgina Stevenson will be the DJ. Matt Adair will bring the Bluetooth speaker
  • Food: Omar will pick up the food. Omar suggested talking to Two Buck about catering the food for 65 people. Omar will contact them.
  • Chairs: Steve contacted Lasting Impressions; reserving 50 chairs and 3 tables for about$154.00.
  • Icebreaker led by Diane Dixon
  • Voter registration: An individual from the League of Women Voters will be coming to assist with the registration
  • Jennifer and Kauwe: develop a game that can be intergenerational.
  • Contact Sewing Circle about creating a banner for WPCCA meetings (Lydia)
  • Contact Community Connectors to ask them to invite people to the meeting. Incentivize their work by offering a gift card to Kroger for going out an inviting people.
  • Motion: Omar Elhgamusa motioned that we designate $120 to compensate Community Connectors for their efforts to bring people to the civic association meeting. Laura Bidwa seconded the motion. Vote was 5-0 for; motion passed.
  • Contact Grant Park HOA about plans (Lydia)
  • Make sure to email, send a reminder email, and then post on FB about the change in location. (Lydia)
  • Have posted on the door of the Schoenbaum Family Center about the change in location (Laura will post sign at SFC)
  • Ask La’Wan about a microphone (Omar)
  • Balloons and string to hang up outside the Rice Paddy (Laura)
  • Ask Lexie Holliday about taking pictures at the Rice Paddy (Lydia)

October WPCCA Meeting:

Invite Dr. Robinson-Ervin to come to the meeting (Laura)

Holiday Potluck:

Weds, Dec 5 at the Schoenbaum Family Center